Common Reader Essay Contest
Be sure to enter the Behind the Beautiful Forevers Essay Contest! Essays are due at midnight on September 26th. See full artcile for details!
Essay Contest Details
Open to All First Year Students
Behind the Beautiful Forevers details how people who seem to be the most powerless in society still strive to take advantage of new cultural and economic realities to improve the lives of themselves and their families. Select one member of the Annawadi community and, in a unified essay, discuss 1.) How Boo presents both the achievements experienced by this person (using, according to Boo, imagination, intelligence and courage) and the injustices he or she endured and 2.) How this person inspired you to reflect upon your own situation within the US and the global community.
A. Essays will be judged on persuasive use of textual evidence, clarity, and creativity. Your essay should be no more than 1000 words double-spaced, use 12-point Times New Roman, and include a heading that has the title of your essay, your name, and the best way to contact you.
B. Please also submit a question for the author in one of the following categories:
- Author’s process in researching the book
- Author’s personal experiences while writing the book
- Author’s way of getting people to allow her to write about them
- Problems and hurdles assembling her data
- Special triumphs
- Her feelings about reaction (in India, England, US) to the book
- Her assumptions before she started her research
- Her assumptions after she assembled most of her research for her book
- Her expectations for the book’s impact
Essays and questions are due at midnight on September 26th. Send material as an attachment to FYE-Essay@udel.edu and write FYE Essay Contest in the Subject line. To be considered for the awards, you must complete both parts A and B.
Prizes: 1st Place $300, 2nd Place $150, 3rd Place $100, 4th Place $50 and a chance to have dinner at the President’s House and meet Katherine Boo.